Friday, November 5, 2010

13 weeks and counting

Today was my first appt at the regular OB. And the first day I have seen snow this season.

I thought this was to be a quick appt. Take measurements and review my medical history. I was surprised when the nurse walked me back to a room with an ultrasound machine in it. I asked if I was supposed to have an u/s today and she said yes. I started to panic and cry. She probably thought I was a little batty, after all, it's JUST an ultrasound. I said I wasn't expecting one and that I was scared to be there alone. I know she didn't understand but she didn't give me a hard time about it. I asked if I could come back later in the day with my mom but Dr L wasn't there in the afternoon.

Then she looked at my chart and saw I was having twins and asked when my daughter was born. I told her April 13th and she smiled and said it will be like having triplets. When I told her no, my daughter died in May then I saw the light go on in her head. I explained that Arawynn had a heart defect.

She understood why I was so upset about having an ultrasound by myself. I was scared of getting bad news and having no one to be with me. She said we could forget it and do it the next time I came in. So she took me to a regular exam room.

While I waited for Dr L to come in I was trying to calm down. I don't know why I felt so panicky still. When he came in and we started talking I felt so much better. He knows me and what I went through. The nurses don't. They barely look in my chart accept for the most basic info. Looking at a patients history doesn't seem to even cross there mind. But Dr L knew. I felt safer, I guess because I didn't feel like a stranger with him.

Anyway, my tummy measured well and he could hear both heartbeats on his little monitor. Both in the 150's. I speculate it is 2 of a kind. No boy/girl combo. But we shall see soon enough.

He wasn't worried about not doing an ultrasound since I had a couple with Dr D already. I go back in 4 weeks for another check up and at that time we will schedule the BIG ultrasound.

Since I'm having twins I am considered high risk. So he expects monthly ultrasounds and he will have me do all or most of them at the Maternal Fetal Medicine again because they have a better machine and can do an echo as well.

We spent the rest of the time chatting about genetics and antidepressants and unknown factors that cause birth defects. He is so honest and straightforward. I never feel like he is dancing around subjects that he doesn't want to talk about. I feel confident in him.

So, it was a good report that I left with. Looking forward to the big ultrasound sometime beginning of January.

Oh yeah, I hate their scales. They make me 6 pounds heavier than my scale at home. Next time I'm going to the appointment naked.

No comments:

Post a Comment