If Grandma makes dinner I usually keep them occupied in another room. Once it is ready I say, "do you want num-nums," and Levi is off like a shot with his finger leading the way. Seriously, you would think I never feed this child.
Once he is in his chair there is still finger pointing in the direction of the plates that are still waiting on the counter. "Mama, you forgot something." Not yet. Time to pray. Fold your hands. They usually will fold their hands but it obviously doesn't last through the whole prayer. But I am pleased they know the routine.
At last, food! Once the dish is placed in front of him he looks around to see what is there. Typically he goes for the sweetest thing first and once that is gone he works on the next most flavorful item and so on until it is all gone. If he isn't sure which item is sweetest he will taste each item on the plate until he decides where to begin. He is very methodical. If we are eating something that he really enjoys then he will keep an eye on how much is left on everyone else's plate. Because if he finishes his and there is more on your plate than you better share or that finger will be staring you down and a constant "eh, eh" will be ringing in your ears.
Sometimes he plays with his food. Usually it happens when he is close to the end and isn't as "starving" for food. Smushing is a common theme. Push that finger into a piece of food and make a little hole with it. When he doesn't particularly like what he has been served the playing occurs much sooner and becomes a lot more messy. Eventually he decides that dumping his plate over or tossing it over the side is the best way to dispose of the food which Mama does not appreciate in the least. That's when we say, "all done" and turn our palms up.
Neither boy likes being cleaned after a meal but they suffer through it. After all, what boy likes to be clean? Just kidding. Now, if it involved a bath then they LOVE to be cleaned. They can never get into the tub fast enough.
Another thing he enjoys to a great degree is Sesame Street. This kid is fanatical about that show. He squeals with delight and bounces up and down when I turn the show on. He dances along to the opening theme song. After a few minutes of standing he decides he wants to be more comfortable and will get up on the couch to sit back and watch. I am pretty impressed with his attention span. Typically he will sit there for at least 20 minutes before getting down to play. But he always comes back to watch for a couple minutes here and there.
He has two characters, Elmo and Big Bird, that are about six inches tall from Grandma Deborah. Those have been his favorite toys and he hauls them all around the house. He knows their names and when you tell him to get one he always brings back the correct one. So I decided he needed more. Amazon.com here I come. I found a bunch of the characters and decided on Bert and Ernie. I figure I will get him others in time. He is definitely going to need a Grover someday. Anyway, I ordered them and they finally arrived in the mail. He recognized them immediately. I wasn't sure if he would know who is who so I have been saying their names often. I'm pretty sure he knows who is who but sometimes he does get them mixed up. I was looking at the toys in Meijer the other day and I found some of the Sesame Street characters there. I ended up getting him a Cookie Monster. It is bigger than the other ones but it is really soft. Actually William really likes that one because of how soft it is. He will rub it on his cheek then he smiles and hugs it.
A couple days ago Gramps bought the boys a toy laptop. Oh my goodness, they were all over that toy like flies to honey. Unfortunately Levi is not very good about sharing and it ended being the cause of quite the ruckus. I had to put it away but that didn't help much for there were wails of sorrow ringing throughout the house. Oh the agony! So in the end Gramps had to go out and buy another one. It worked out good. These laptops need to be programed with the child's name and three messages from people you chose. I would have needed to switch the name on it every so often but now they each have one programmed with their names.
I have caught William playing with both of them on a few occasions. He is such a techie.




No comments:
Post a Comment